PASSAIC, N.J. — A 3-year-old girl has died from carbon monoxide poisoning days after she was pulled from a car with her mother and brother in Passaic during the blizzard Saturday.
Saniyah Bonilla, 3, died Wednesday at St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center, police confirm.
The mother, 23-year-old Sashalynn Rosa, and her two children were taken to St. Mary’s Hospital Saturday, where the mom and her 1-year-old son, Messiah, were pronounced dead at St. Mary’s Hospital.
As her husband worked to dig their car out of a mound of snow at the height of the blizzard, the Passaic mom and their two young children took shelter inside the vehicle, where they were overcome by the silent killer, carbon monoxide, because the tailpipe was covered in snow.
The tragic incident, which Passaic Mayor Alex Blanco called a “scar on the city,” happened about 8:15 p.m. Saturday as New Jersey was pounded by one of the strongest snowstorms ever to hit the Garden State.
EMS crews worked on the scene for an hour to revive the mom and her two children. They were the first deaths in New Jersey that were linked to the Blizzard of 2016.
A GoFundMe site was created to help defray the family’s burial costs. Click here to help.