There have been recent cases that are just the latest reminder about the danger, lurking out there for your children.
This morning, we wanted to separate some fact from fiction and also talk about the technology that can help your keep your kids safe.
Former NYPD officer Dr. Darrin Porcher and Coby Persin, who you probably recognized from viral videos "The Dangers of Social Media."
- The NYPD community affairs unit has a program that registers your child"s photo, information and prints. And supplies an identification card.
- Teach your kids that police officers are not your enemy. They are there to help. Approach an officer if you are in danger or uncomfortable.
- Know everything you can about your children's activities and their friends. Monitor children's activities and participate with them. Don't allow children to play alone in isolated areas.
- Teach your children about strangers AND to be aware of unusual behavior in people they know.
- Teach them to listen to their feelings and that it is okay to say no if any adults (including family members) ask them to do something that makes them feel uncomfortable.
- Teach your children to refuse anything from strangers, including money, gifts or rides. Know where new items come from.
- Teach your children how to safely answer the phone if they are at home alone such as stating the adult in the house is "unavailable" to come to the phone.
- Teach your children to keep a safe distance from strangers and not to give strangers directions for help, finding lost pets, etc. Adults need to get help from other adults
- Have a secret code word with your child. ( It will alert you to a dangerous situation without alerting the potential perpetrator)
- Teach your children about appropriate and inappropriate secrets and that some secrets have to be told if children and parents are to be kept safe.
Coby Persin Videos