Click here for a holiday treat, every day from PIX11

Toddler left alone in hot room dies from extreme heat while parents cook meth: officials

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Lucas R. Barnes and Kathleen M. Peacock

ST. CHARLES, Mo. — A Missouri toddler is dead after police say he was left alone in a room with a space heater for 38 hours while his parents were in another room cooking methamphetamine.

According to KTVI, the mother, 22-year-old Kathleen M. Peacock found her child, Braydon, dead in his room on Sunday. She ran to a neighbor’s house for help and one neighbor said the child’s room was extremely hot.

Authorities say the space heater was left on and the parents reportedly ignored the child’s cries. Officials say he died of hyperthermia.

Peacock, who police say is pregnant, and the father, Lucas R. Barnes, 25, are facing charges of child abuse and neglect and manufacturing meth.

Hyperthermia is an elevated body temperature that happens when a body produces or absorbs more heat than it can release.