PIX11 NOW: Get PIX11 News and weather on Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, Amazon Fire and Amazon Alexa

Ex-Giants safety Tyler Sash died from accidental pain pill overdose, autopsy reveals

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

IOWA CITY, Iowa — Former Giants safety Tyler Sash died from an accidental overdose after mixing two pain medications, an autopsy revealed.

Sash, 27, was found dead in his home in Oskaloosa, Iowa on Sept. 8.

ESPN reports the autopsy determined the cause and manner of death was an “accidental mixed drug toxicity involving methadone and hydrocodone.”

The medical examiner said a history of chronic shoulder pain and a recent shoulder dislocation were "significant" in the former football star's death.

Oskaloosa Police Chief Jake McGee said Sash had a prescription from his doctor for hydrocodone. They are unsure of where he obtained the methadone.

Sash played safety for the Giants for two seasons and was part of the 2011 Super Bowl-winning team that defeated the New England Patriots.

He was suspended by the NFL for four games after violating the league's performance-enhancing drug policy by using Adderall. Sash said he was taking the medication for anxiety. He was released after the 2012 season.