PHILADELPHIA — The mother of a University of Pennsylvania nursing student who allegedly purchased cyanide on Amazon.com and used it to take her own life is suing the Philadelphia school and online retailer.
The Philadelphia Inquirer reports 20-year-old junior Arya Singh died on Feb. 8, 2013 after ingesting soluble cyanide crystals in her dorm room.
The suit alleges the university failed to support Singh after her life deteriorated following a 2011 sexual assault by another student, who remained on campus even after the assault was reported.
After the alleged assault, Singh began to miss class regularly and was even arrested and treated for alcohol intoxication. She was at the center of “multiple academic and misconduct investigations,” according to the paper.
“Despite Arya’s problems, university employees’ conduct toward her was unsympathetic , hostile, and at times vindictive,” according to the suit.
Amazon began blocking sales of cyanide on Feb. 2, 2013, but the lawsuit alleges the chemical was sold through the website at least 51 times before Singh’s purchase.
On Feb. 8, a school representative went to her dorm room and told her she had to pack up and leave, according to the suit. Three hours later Singh’s roommate found her unresponsive and contacted authorities. Paramedics rushed her to the hospital where she was pronounced dead.
Attorneys for Amazon and the university say they won’t comment on pending litigation.
The Associated Press contributed to this article.