NEVER MISS A STORY: GET THE PIX11 NEWS APP FOR IMPORTANT UPDATES

Teen who tried to charge phone on Broadway stage says sorry

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEW YORK — The New York teen who bizarrely clambered onto a Broadway stage earlier this month to recharge his phone has apologized, blaming ignorance and alcohol.

Nick Silvestri, of Seaford, New York, held a press conference Friday outside the Booth Theatre, where on July 2 he had to be pulled off the stage by ushers moments before the play "Hand to God" started.

Says Silvestri: "I didn't know the stage is considered off limits" adding he felt terrible for the actors. He vowed never to get onstage again "unless I decide to be an actor."

The attempt to recharge was, in the end, pointless: The onstage outlet was just a prop, created by Beowulf Boritt, whose set is a depiction of a church basement.