NO HEAT? CLICK HERE TO LET US KNOW YOU NEED HELP

De-icer in car explodes, leaving woman severely burned

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SEATTLE (Tribune Media Wire) -- Ashes are all that's left of Matison Long's car after a freak accident left her severely burned.

"It was really just like a pop," Matison told KCPQ. "Like a helium balloon popping and that was it. It was silent for maybe 30 seconds."

Matison was having lunch inside her car with a friend on April 11 in Olympia, Wash. She said she pushed her seat back to give herself more leg room, not realizing a can of de-icer was on the floor behind her seat.

“It punctured the can and they said the wiring underneath the car, the electric seating, it was all perfect timing for that to go off. So it punctured it and set it on fire,” Long said.

Matison's grandmother Meta said it was all "so bizarre."

“She's having nightmares and I think she's kind of afraid to even get into a car again, the whole fire thing. But I think she'll make a recovery. She’s just afraid, scared, hurt,” Meta said.

Matison said she saw flames on her arms.

“As soon as it happened I got out the door outside and I did stop, drop and roll. I rolled on the ground maybe for 30 seconds and then I got up and there was just skin hanging. I looked down and saw skin melting away. It was the scariest thing I have ever seen,” Matison recalled.

Matison was flown to Harborview Medical Center where she's remained for the last 10 days. She's hoping others will learn from her experience, as bizarre as it was.

“It was the scariest thing that's ever happened to me. I would be more careful of what’s on the floor of your car because anything could happen... anything," she said.

The family has set up a GoFundMe account to help with medical bills.