EAST FLATBUSH, Brooklyn (PIX11) -- Firefighters from Ladder Company 157 pulled six people from a burning building on Clarendon Road in East Flatbush near E. 32nd Street Saturday morning.
Two people were trapped in a second floor apartment where the fire started when they arrived.
"The main thing is there were no deaths, the building can be repaired" said Leylend Sampson the owner of the three-story building. The blaze broke out around 9:15 a.m.
Sampson says the fire started in a second floor bedroom, possibly from a lit cigarette.
The blaze spread quickly and flames could be seen leaping out windows of the building. "It was just so intense," one witness told PIX11 News.
A woman and a child who were in the apartment were the fire started were the most seriously injured. The woman was taken to Kings County Hospital and the child taken to Weill Cornell. Both suffered from smoke inhalation. Sampson says he was told their conditions are serious, but improving. He says it will be about six weeks before the building can be fixed and people allowed to return to their apartments.