NC restaurant serves alcoholic beverage to 2-year-old girl

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ASHEVILLE, N.C. (PIX11) — A family is in disbelief after their 2-year-daughter was served an alcoholic beverage at a restaurant in North Carolina last Friday night, according to WLOS.

The Asheville family says they went to Texas Roadhouse to celebrate Derek Gilliam’s 25th birthday. They all reportedly ordered non-alcoholic drinks, along with a cranberry juice for 2-year-old Gabriela.

But when the toddler tasted the juice, it tasted funny. The parents also tried the juice and noticed something was wrong. The 2-year-old had been served sangria.

The parents, who took the child to the hospital right away, said she was staggering and kissing everyone. Doctors diagnosed her with accidental alcohol ingestion.

“I had to rub her belly the whole night and she slept with us because I was scared that she might not wake up,” her mother Tiffany Gilliam told WLOS. “That she’d choke on her throw up and not wake up. It was the most horrible feeling ever.”

Gabriela is reportedly doing much better.

The restaurant apologized and claims it was an honest mistake.