PIX11 NOW: Get PIX11 News and weather on Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, Amazon Fire and Amazon Alexa

NYC settles lawsuit for $75,000 over 2013 police chokehold

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEW YORK (AP) — The city of New York has agreed to pay a Brooklyn man $75,000 to settle a lawsuit claiming he was choked and unable to breathe during a 2013 encounter with police.

A city law department spokesman says the case was evaluated and it was determined a settlement was in the city’s best interests.

Attorney Jeffrey Rothman said Monday that the settlement for Kevin Dennis-Palmer Sr. was “another example of a black man choked and beaten down into the ground.”

The lawsuit was filed a month before Eric Garner said, “I can’t breathe,” as he was wrestled to the ground by police on Staten Island in July. Garner died.

The settlement was first reported by the Daily News. A judge in Manhattan federal court approved it last week.