Man dead after hookah lounge explosion in Brooklyn

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BROOKLYN (PIX11) -- A man who was critically injured after a hookah lounge explosion has died, officials said.

Mohammad Saram, 22, suffered burns over 90 percent of his body, the New York Post reported. The man ran out into the street on fire Tuesday after chemicals he was using caused the fire.

Officials reported to the scene at McDonald Avenue in Borough Park just after 2 p.m. The flames were extinguished and Saram was rushed to Maimonides Hospital in critical condition with second- and third-degree burns over most of his body.

A 5-galloon container filled with an unknown substance was found in the basement of the building. The Post reports the chemicals were used to make flavored tobacco for hookahs.

Sources told the newspaper that the fire may have been caused due to poor ventilation in the basement.

Related: