NO HEAT? CLICK HERE TO LET US KNOW YOU NEED HELP

Day care center worker who served children bleach is fired

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

JERSEY CITY, N.J. (AP) — The New Jersey day care center where more than two dozen children and adults were accidentally served bleach-tainted water has reopened, and an employee has been fired.

The parent company of the Growing Tree Learning II in Jersey City says the center opened Friday after several agencies probed Thursday's incident.

Twenty-eight children and two adults drank the water laced with bleach after an employee mistakenly used a bottle that was being used to clean off tables. They were treated at a hospital after complaining of nausea, lightheadedness and stomachaches. All were released Thursday afternoon.

Keith Kearney is executive director of United Cerebral Palsy of Hudson County, the day care center's parent company. He says the employee has been fired.

The state children's welfare department is investigating.