(PIX11) -- Here are some fun ways to prepare the healthy summer favorite just in time for Labor Day parties.
• 1 seedless watermelon (about 6 pounds), cut into chunks
• 3/4 cup lime juice (10 to 12 limes), plus lime slices for garnish
• 2 - 4 tablespoons sugar
• Mint sprigs, for garnish
1. Using a blender, working in batches, puree the watermelon with the lime juice.
2. Pour the watermelon puree into a large pitcher, add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Dilute with water if desired. Serve over ice and garnish with lime slices and mint sprigs.
Watermelon Cups with Feta and Mint
• 16 1-inch cubes seedless watermelon, chilled
• 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
• 2 teaspoons finely chopped shallots
1. Using a small melon baller or a 1/4 teaspoon measuring spoon, scoop out a small well in each watermelon cube, keeping the walls of the cube intact.
2. In a small bowl, mash together the feta, mint and shallots; season with pepper. Stuff the wells of the watermelon cubes with the feta mixture.
Watermelon Lemon Granita
• Watermelon, pureed
• Sugar, to taste
• Lemons, halved and scooped clean
1. Pour sweetened watermelon in a thin layer in a baking dish. Freeze it, scraping every 15 minutes with a fork until it's icy. Serve the treat in halved, hollowed-out lemons, if desired.