(PIX11) — As reports of bed bugs crawling aboard New York City subways continue to emerge, learn how to prevent and treat an infestation should a critter attach itself to you.
Here are ways to prevent a bed bug infestation, according to the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene:
- Bed bugs can enter homes by latching onto used furniture, luggage and clothing, and by traveling along connecting pipes and wiring.
- Never bring bed frames, mattresses, box springs or upholstered furniture found on the street into your home. Check all used or rented furniture for bed bugs.
- When traveling, inspect the bed and furniture. Keep suitcases off the floor and bed, and inspect them before you leave.
- If you suspect you have been around bed bugs, immediately wash and dry your clothing on hot settings or store it in a sealed plastic bag until you can.
- Seal cracks and crevices with caulk, even if you don’t have bed bugs. This will help prevent bed bugs and other pests from coming in.