NEW YORK (PIX11)-- Reporter Joseph Checkler started a Kick Starter campaign that will make an average egg sandwich much better.
His plan is to "save the adequate-but-underachieving NYC egg sandwich by delivering instructional leaflets to all Midtown egg-sandwich makers."
Since actions speak louder than words, Checkler shares his recipe for better egg sandwich making.
JOSEPH’S “BEST EGG SANDWICH” RECIPE (Serves 2)
- 6 eggs
- 6 slices of good cheddar cheese
- 1 Pkg of Boar’s Head Bacon
- 2 good Kaiser Rolls
- Salt and Pepper
Once you have all the ingredients, here are some guidelines Checkler recommends:
1. Crack two eggs onto the griddle.
2. Let cook for about 30 seconds, THEN break the yolk and gently smooth it over the white part. Cook for another minute and a half or so.
3. Flip the egg, immediately add two slices of cheese that cover the whole egg. If you need to add a third slice, DO IT.
4. If the customer ordered meat, reheat FRESH sliced sausage, or, if they ordered bacon, ask whether they’d prefer it crispy or juicy. Cook accordingly. Time it so the meat is done just as the egg is ready to go on the roll.
5. Place egg on the roll, cheese side UP (I said down earlier), and season the non-cheese side with salt and pepper.
6. Place breakfast meat, if ordered, on the sandwich.
7. Wrap in foil.
8. Sell to customers for anywhere between $2 and $5.95.