NEW YORK (PIX11) -- The NYPD’s Major Case Squad released video Wednesday to PIX 11 Investigates showing a serial bank robber ditching his disguise in the subway.
Detective Cliff Parks said he believed the images from the Chambers Street subway station on April 19 were clear enough to make the man very recognizable.
“This is the first and only shot we have of him with no hat and no sunglasses on,” Detective Parks told PIX11 Wednesday.
The culprit has hit 13 banks since Jan. 25 -- 11 of them in Manhattan, one in the Bronx, and one in Queens. He’s made off with more than $30,000.
He’s paid return visits to at least three banks.
After the robber hit the Capital One Bank at West Broadway and Chambers Street in Manhattan April 19 at 1:30 p.m., he was seen using a MetroCard to go through the turnstile at the Chambers Street station, where commuters can catch the No. 1, 2 or 3 trains.
He was still wearing a New York Giants baseball cap and sunglasses when he entered the subway system. But seconds later, another surveillance camera shows him ditching a sweatshirt, hat, gloves and glasses into a trash can, as he dashes to another turnstile to leave the station.
“What I’m asking for is the public’s assistance in helping identify this suspect,” Detective Parks told PIX 11.
The NYPD Crime Stoppers unit is offering a reward of up to $2,000 to anyone who provides information that leads to an arrest and conviction. Callers receive a confidential code number and don’t have to give their names. The phone number for Crime Stoppers is 1-800-577-TIPS.
Here is the list of banks the robber has hit, since January 25, 2014:
- 1/25/14 Chase Bank at 101 Barclay Street, Manhattan. Suspect leaves with $6,000 in cash.
- 2/22/14 Popular Bank at 134 Delancey Street, Manhattan. Suspect gets $1,365.00
- 2/22/14 Capital One Bank at 245 East 34th Street, Manhattan. Suspect scores $1,520.00
- 2/28/14 Capital One Bank at 151 East Fordham Road in the Bronx. Suspect gets $11,000.00 in cash
- 3/8/14 Chase Bank at 69 Fifth Avenue. Suspect leaves with nothing
- 3/8/14 Citibank at 79 Fifth Avenue. Suspect leaves with nothing
- 3/10/14 Flushing Savings Bank at 136-41 Roosevelt Avenue in Queens. Suspect takes $2,000.00
- 3/29/14 Popular Bank at 134 Delancey Street (2nd visit) Leaves with nothing.
- 4/8/14 Capital One Bank at 245 East 34th Street (2nd visit) Gets $1,500.00
- 4/10/14 HSBC Bank at 2 Park Avenue. Scores $1,100.00
- 4/19/14 Capital One Bank at 90 West Broadway. Suspect gets $3,000 and is CAPTURED ON SURVEILLANCE IN CHAMBERS STREET SUBWAY STATION
- 7/8/14 Capital One Bank at 90 West Broadway (Return Visit) Suspect gets $2,400.00
- 7/28/14 Capital One Bank at 154 Bleecker Street Suspect leaves with $1,070.00