Gasoline smell sends students at Queens high school home early
QUEENS, N.Y. (PIX11) – The smell of gasoline was so strong at a Queens high school Monday morning that students were sent home for the day.
A spokeswoman for Martin Luther High School in Maspeth said they noticed a smell of gasoline about 9 a.m. and called the fire department.
She said crews determined that the smell likely did not originate in the school, but may have been caused by someone dumping gasoline into a nearby sewer.
Students were evacuated as a precaution to nearby St. Stanislaus Church and dismissed for the day at about 10 a.m.
Classes are expected to resume Tuesday morning.