NEW YORK (PIX11/AP) — After five teens died in a head-on crash on a Long Island street notorious for dangerous driving, plans are underway to boost safety on the road.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced new radar technology and lane modifications are planned along Conklin Street, the site of a tragic head-on collision last week that left five teenagers — ages 14 to 18 — dead.
Cuomo detailed the safety measures along Conklin Street in a letter to Farmingdale Mayor Ralph Ekstrand on Thursday.
Speaking “as a father of three daughters who drive,” Cuomo told the mayor the state is ready to help in the investigation into the tragic crash.
“While that investigation remains ongoing, it is clear that more must be done to help ensure the safety of drivers and residents in the area around Conklin Street,” Cuomo wrote.
The state already has installed two speed control trailers along the street informing motorists of their speed.
To-be-installed radar devices, when triggered by a speeding vehicle, will switch traffic signals to red, forcing drivers to stop.
The teens were riding in a 2001 Nissan early May 10 when they crossed over a double yellow line and collided with a GMC Suburban. One one survived the collision — a 17-year-old boy — but he later died from his injuries.
Cuomo said his office is reviewing modifying lane configurations. They could include increasing median widths and adding additional traffic signals.