EXCLUSIVE: Woman finds GIANT bug inside soup from Far Rockaway restaurant

FAR ROCKAWAY, Queens (PIX11) – A woman said she got physically ill after finding a giant bug inside her soup from a Queens restaurant.

Natalie Estrella said she ordered a type of soup called sancocho from Mi Mundo Restaurant on Mott Avenue in Far Rockaway Thursday.

sancochobugfinal

Estrella believes the bug floating in her soup is a silverfish bug, a common house pest.

After she began eating the soup, Estrella discovered a giant insect, which she believes to be a silverfish bug, floating inside.

Estrella gave it back to the waiter, who threw it out. She said the waiter came back and told her, in Spanish, the restaurant “has these bugs all over the pipes.”

The owner of the restaurant offered Estrella a refund.

papersblurred

Estrella was treated for “insect ingestion” at the hospital.

While silverfish bugs are considered household pests, they are not known to transmit disease.

“Today was the worst day of my life. I felt dizzy, my stomach started hurting and then I threw up,” Estrella told PIX11 through a Facebook message.

The woman went to St. John’s Episcopal Hospital and was treated for “insect ingestion” according to discharge papers.

Estrella told PIX11 she still doesn’t feel well and is still nauseous.

“I can say now I am traumatized by eating out,” Estrella said.

The restaurant currently has a pending “C” grade from the Department of Health, racking up 44 points in violations.

The restaurant manager, who only identified himself as Carlos, acknowledged the pending grade but said he’s unsure of what violations the restaurant has.

He said Estrella complained about the bug in the soup, but said he did not know what kind of insect it was.

Carlos also claims the restaurant doesn’t have an insect issue.

A search of NYC Department of Health records shows some of violations include:

  • Evidence of mice or live mice present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas.
  • Filth flies or food/refuse/sewage-associated (FRSA) flies present in facility¬ís food and/or non-food areas.
  • Food contact surface not properly washed, rinsed and sanitized after each use and following any activity when contamination may have occurred.

Earlier this week, a woman claims she found a lizard inside her salad from a Manhattan deli.

Last year, a woman found a frog inside her salad from another Manhattan eatery.

Estrella added that she will be getting a lawyer and filing a lawsuit.