Family of 10-year-old boy killed by rat-bite fever sues Petco

Boydiesfromratbite

10-year-old Aidan died after his pet rat bit him and gave him a lethal fever.

SAN DIEGO (AP) — Lawyers representing a San Diego family have filed a lawsuit against Petco Animal Supplies Inc., saying a 10-year-old boy died from rat-bite fever contracted from a male rat purchased at one of the national chain’s stores.

Attorney John Gomez told The Associated Press on Tuesday that his firm filed the lawsuit in San Diego County on Monday seeking an unspecified amount for the suffering endured by the Pankey family, whose son, Aidan, died June 12, 2013, hours after being rushed to the hospital with severe stomach pains.

Rat

A San Diego family will sue Petco after an infected rat they purchased resulted in the death of their young son.

The San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office has confirmed the cause of the boy’s death was an infection from a rat.

The retailer in a statement expressed its condolences. Petco says safety is a top priority and it was looking into the matter.

 

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 459 other followers