NEW YORK (AP) — Investigators have ruled a New Year’s Day fire in Queens that left a 7-year-old boy dead an accident.
FDNY spokesman Frank Dwyer says Wednesday fire marshals investigating the blaze believe embers from a fireplace likely sparked the flames that set couches and Christmas decorations in the family home on fire.
Dwyer says there was no fireplace screen to block the embers and no smoke detectors were found.
Chief Mark Ferran said two young adults started the fire in the fireplace. He said the two and a grandfather got out unharmed. But 7-year-old Christopher Miller was on the top floor with his 12-year-old brother. Christopher died and the 12-year-old is in critical condition.
The medical examiner will determine the cause of death. The mother was not home at the time.