You Gotta Watch This!

Kmart’s racy ‘Joe Boxer’ Christmas commercial sparks internet outrage

NEW YORK (PIX11) – Just in time for the holiday shopping season, Kmart has starting some controversy with a commercial for underwear brand “Joe Boxer.”

The commercial — named “Show Your Joe” — features men dressed in tuxedo jackets and boxers, ringing bells and shaking their hips in the tune of “Jingle Bells.”

Critics have taken to Kmart’s Facebook page to voice their displeasure with the ad.

“Show your Joe is a VERY offensive ad!!!! And needs to be removed!!!!,” one person commented. “I thought this was a family store? Yet this [is] NOT a family friendly ad!”

Another said, “…Perhaps they [Kmart] have forgotten why Christmas is celebrated…”

Not all people took the ad as seriously, though.

kmart

A rep for Kmart called the ad “playful.”

“I LOVE the SHOW YOUR JOE ad. People don’t complain if ladies are in underwear, so why complain about men in underwear!” one fan said.

In response to the outrage, Kmart told the Huffington Post, “The Kmart ‘Show Your Joe’ commercial playfully showcases Joe Boxer’s men’s clothing available at Kmart. We regret if some people found the commercial offensive, as that was not our intent.”

29 Comments to “Kmart’s racy ‘Joe Boxer’ Christmas commercial sparks internet outrage”

Devon said:
    November 20, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Some people's minds are always on what's between their legs and process everything from that view. The Radio City Rockettes (think pairs) could be seen as erotic too. So, let Jingle "Belles" be.

No name said:
    November 20, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I'm sure if they were women in their underwear, that would be ok

Janet James said:
      December 13, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Haven't ever seen women shake their tits!!! The commercial is ignorant and they've lost my business!!!!

Guest said:
    November 20, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Victoria Secret gals have less "secrets" than the Joe Boxer guys. Leave it!

Joe said:
    November 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM

So this is offensive but yet if that was women up there showing 80% of their body it would be ok cause sex sells right???

Carmen said:
    November 20, 2013 at 5:50 PM

The ad is okay. Put a smile on my face.

Cindy Dupont said:
    November 20, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I think its a nasty commercial to air for

Christmas. Keep your boxers now

Anonymous said:
      November 21, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I agree. CHRISTmas or not, I don’t want to see guys balls gingling. Disgusting. AND… If it was womens boobs being shaken up there, women would definitely started WWIII. So don’t say it would be ok. NEITHER is acceptable. Liberals always taking things WAY to far. Please preserve SOMETHING in this country!!!!!

Anonymous said:
      December 14, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I use to shop at K-Mart but that commercial is uncalled for and very inappropriate for anyone to watch. It reveals too much for the eyes! I will not shop at K-Mart now! It is a very disgusting commercial and should be banned from the television! Just does not appeal to me and I turn this commercial every time it comes on! Really, could have thought of something in better taste!

Jan said:
    November 20, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Finally..an entertaining commercial. I I am so sick of those boring annoying commercials that I have to keep muting. This commercial made me laugh.

Diane said:
    November 20, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Absolutely loved this commercial, so sick of seeing my boyfriend drooling over victoria secret christmas commercials, and Super Bowl commercials with women eating burgers. It's nice to finally have it the other way around . Thought it was hilarious. Thank joe boxer and kmart loved it!! Have to get my honey some new boxers for christmas now ;)

Ree said:
    November 20, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Finally, someone who understands that not every woman watching television is a lesbian who only wants to see women in underwear (nothing against lesbians, but we straight women want some eye candy too).

deedee said:
    November 20, 2013 at 7:56 PM

OMG! I thought the commercial was hysterical! You see women in commercials that have less on and act way more provocatively. This was just plain funny and entertaining! Go Kmart, don't let the few make you take the commercial off.

Jerry said:
    November 20, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Good news…..Google is paying 75$/hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. On sunday I bought themselves a Alfa Romeo from having made $5637 this month. its the best-job Ive ever had.It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out http://www.Buzz95.com

jim jenners said:
    November 20, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Kmart, Your commercial is not racy by any means. It's funny and I find it refreshing to find a retailer that shows it has a sense of humor. Keep up the good work. Keep your sense of humor and guys like me will be loyal customers.

esco said:
    November 20, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Jingle Balls? 0_o

JoAnn said:
    November 20, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Funny funny funny!!!

Funny,funny,funny. Loved it!

Janet said:
    November 20, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I think Kmart is totally missing the point of Christmas. Jesus is the reason for the season and I, for one, do not want to see the Victoria Secret models OR these men shaking what they got. Both are disgusting. There are ways to sell things without stripping down to your underwear. There is so much smut already on TV, why add to it? There was nothing funny about this at all.

Heather said:
    November 20, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I love the commercial! Made me laugh and I had to share it with my friends. I agree with the some of the other comments..if this was a commercial with women shaking their stuff, it would be no big deal.

K said:
    November 21, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Great marketing idea! For those who can’t handle it! Seriously? Chill out people..Show your Joe!

Nick said:
    November 21, 2013 at 4:55 AM

This commercial is awesome, just like everyone has said above: Victoria secrets shows way less, and its fine., women and gay boys like me, wanna see men like this-keep it coming!!

chris said:
    November 22, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I think it is the very best commerical in a long time!!!!The person who created it should definatley get a raise!!Never laughted so hard,enjoyed the christmas spirit!!!

private krankenversicherung studenten said:
    December 1, 2013 at 8:10 AM

You recognize therefore considerably in the case of this subject, made me in my view consider it from a lot of numerous angles. Its like men and women don’t seem to be interested until it’s something to do with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs great. Always deal with it up!

Mrs. Trish Kaloostian said:
    December 3, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I will STOP shopping at your store if you continue with that disgusting joe boxer commercial!!! I have to shove my grandchildren out of the TV viewing area How embarassing for your company!! Shame on a once , family friendly company!!!

Tina said:
    December 11, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Saw the commercial for the first time and had to go online to see it again as my husband and i laughed our asses off. Kmart has awesome commercials. The comments that are in agreement are so true. Keep up the great work. It makes your remember the store and the products.

maggiesue said:
    December 16, 2013 at 2:08 AM

We dont give a thought to what our younger kids get out of a commercial anymore and what they will try to replicate when they see it. Think for a minute what this Joe Boxer commercial is indirectily tryng to show off. It s funny in one way but shows off something our younger kids dont need to know or imitate. I crossed anything Joe Boxer off my Christmas list.

lorilie said:
    December 17, 2013 at 8:44 PM

i think it is disgusting and totally out of line. why does everything have to have a "sexy" conitation to it.
    There are young kids watching and it makes adults look stupid and look like they have no sense at
    all. Commercials make it look like sex is all adults think about or sex is the only way to relate to adults!
    commercials are totally out of line.