Chef, Restaurateur, cook book author and TV personality Richard Blais took time out of his busy schedule to stop by and share some healthy, hearty and fiber-filled recipes with us. And his special ingredient? Benefiber. He’ll be the guest judge at the “Better with Benefiber” Challenge taking place today in Herald Square.
For more info on the Benefiber challenge, log onto https://www.facebook.com/Benefiber
Recipes for Pumpkin and Chicken White Bean Stew and Raw Oatmeal Risotto.
Pumpkin and Chicken White Bean Stew
Makes 4 Servings
Prep time 10 minutes
Total time 30 minutes
1 ½ cup white beans, cooked from dry beans or canned, no-salt-added
Handful diced pumpkin
1 large carrot, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
1 fresh hot pepper of choice, chopped
2 cups cooking greens such as chard, collard greens, escarole broken in bite size pieces
6 cups water
8 teaspoons of Benefiber® unflavored powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 lb skinless boneless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
Pinch of saffron
½ teaspoon of salt
Dollop of yogurt
4 tablespoons Parmesan
1. In large pot combine beans, carrot, onion, garlic, hot peppers, sage, tomatoes, greens, water, pumpkin and Benefiber®
2. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes
3. Add chicken, saffron and salt, continue cooking for an additional 10 minutes
4. Evenly divide into four soup bowls, top each with one tablespoon of Parmesan
Raw Oatmeal “Risotto”
3 cups raw steel cut oats, divided in half
1/2 cup finely ground raw almonds
4 cups coconut milk or almond milk
3 cups water
¼ cup agave nectar, amber
¼ cup chopped Medjool dates
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp Benefiber
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp sea salt
1. Grind or blend half the oats.
2. Combine with remaining oats and all ingredients and let sit overnight.
3. Mix the following morning and top with garnishes of your choosing.
4. Mix in a little water or milk if texture is too thick.
To garnish, use any combination of the following: