WILLIAMSBURG (PIX11) – The smell of smoke woke up Anderson Ramos who was sleeping in his apartment on the top floor of this Williamsburg apartment building. He says when he looked up at the ceiling and saw flames.
Ramos yelled for his brother who called 911. He took cellphone video of the flames rising from the top of the building when they all got outside safely.
“Everybody got rushed out. We knocked on doors and told our neighbors the fire had started. We had just enough time to grab our pets and get out,” Ramos said holding his chihuahua, Coquito. “He was scared of the fire and then he came to me,” Ramos added about his dog.
Everyone and their pets evacuated the building safely. The fire department says they were on scene within three minutes of the 911 call.
It took 160 firefighters quickly got the fire under control. Three firefighters suffered heat exhaustion and PIX11’s camera captured one who had to be carried out of the building on a stretcher. They are all expected to be fine.
As for those families like Ramos’ who live on the top floor, they will not be going home anytime soon.
“My apartment caught on fire, the ceiling. Right now, the side of my room is damaged, everything is damaged. We will have to find a place to sleep tonight.”
Residents tell PIX11 they have had blackouts at their building before, Particularly When A/C units are running because of the heat. Some folks believe that’s what sparked the blaze.
The fire Marshall is investigating.