Each week we tell viewers what they can get for free. This week’s free list: 1) Lowdown Hudson Blues Festival/Free concert 2) Free Giveaway from Goody TangleFix Brush
WHAT: Lowdown Hudson Blues Festival with B.B. King, Los Lobos, Los Lonely Boys, Alejandro Escovedo, The James Hunter Six
PRESENTER: Arts Brookfield
WHEN: July 10 & 11, 2013, 6pm – 9:30pm
WHERE: Brookfield Place, (formerly the World Financial Center) on the plaza
220 Vesey Street between West Street & the Hudson River
PHONE: (212) 417-2414
COST: Admission is free, no RSVP required. Seating first come, first served.
B.B. KING, LOS LOBOS, ALEJANDRO ESCOVEDO,
LOS LONELY BOYS, THE JAMES HUNTER SIX TO PERFORM
AT THIRD ANNUAL LOWDOWN HUDSON BLUES FESTIVAL, JULY 10 &11
NYC’s only FREE summer blues fest returns with stellar lineup to the Hudson River Waterfront
Lucille, the world`s most famous guitar, is going to bring her six string stomp to Lower Manhattan when the legendary B.B. King headlines a free, two-day Lowdown Hudson Blues Festival on July 10th and 11th, Arts Brookfield announced today.
Cementing its status as one of the city’s premiere free summer festivals, the third annual Lowdown Hudson Blues Festival will return to the outdoor plaza at Brookfield Place (formerly the World Financial Center) with B.B. King, the undisputed ‘King of the Blues’, headlining July 10th. Opening the night will be The James Hunter Six, a Grammy nominated blues act that has toured with Aretha Franklin and Van Morrison.
The next night brings together three of the biggest names in Chicano blues rock with the pioneering outfit Los Lobos, Grammy-winners Los Lonely Boys and Bruce Springsteen favorite Alejandro Escovedo.
Dubbed a ‘summit of soulfulness’ by the New York Times, previous Lowdown Hudson Blues Festivals have featured stunning live sets by Buddy Guy, Taj Mahal, Neko Case, James Blood Ulmer, Charles Bradley, Vernon Reid, Danny Kalb, The Growlers, and Amy LaVere.
‘If the first two years proved anything, it`s that New York City loves blues music,” said Debra Simon, Vice President and Artistic Director of Arts Brookfield. “This festival allows people to check out living legends alongside extraordinarily talented artists set against the beautiful waterfront setting.’
The Lowdown Hudson Blues Festival is presented by Arts Brookfield, an initiative of Brookfield Office Properties, owner of Brookfield Place and a global leader in the ownership and management of premier commercial real estate.
The full lineup for the 2013 Lowdown Hudson Blues Festival is as follows:
WEDNESDAY, JULY 10:
• B.B. King – B.B. King is the ‘King of the Blues.’ His complex yet readily identifiable guitar style, with precise vocal-like string bends and left hand vibrato, has become an indispensable component of rock guitar vocabulary. Over his long career, he has released more than 60 albums – many of which are considered blues classics – and his awards and distinctions are too numerous to list. They include 15 Grammy Awards, the prestigious National Medal of the Arts, the Kennedy Center Honors, and induction into the Blues Foundation Hall of Fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Rolling Stone ranked him at number six in its list of ‘100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time.’
• The James Hunter Six – James Hunter`s classic yet modern brand of rhythm and blues has earned him a Grammy nomination, two Billboard Blues #1`s, and tours with Aretha Franklin, Etta James, Van Morison, and many others. His latest album with The James Hunter Six, Minute by Minute, showcases a leaner and punchier sound with the same electric, soulful voice at the helm.
THURSDAY, JULY 11:
• Los Lobos – Three-time Grammy Award-winning band Los Lobos draws influence from rock, Tex-Mex, country, folk, R&B, blues, and traditional Spanish and Mexican music styles. While they have continually redefined and expanded their scope over the forty years they have been together, the rich musicality at the heart of their sound remains ever-present.
• Los Lonely Boys – Since their debut single ‘Heaven’ hit the Billboard Top 100 in 2004, Los Lonely Boys, with their unique blend of ‘Texican rock `n` roll,’ have sold over 3.3 million recordings to date and have garnered multiple Grammy Award nominations, including one win.
• Alejandro Escovedo – Alejandro Escovedo has embraced many genres during his 35 years as a musician. His songs, suffused with hard-won personal experience, a sense of positivity, and youthful spirit have made him a lasting presence in the Austin, Texas music scene.
ABOUT ARTS BROOKFIELD
Since 1988, more than 5 million people have enjoyed over 5,000 dance, music, theater, visual art, and film events presented by Arts Brookfield, a free, year-round, privately funded performing and visual arts program.
As an initiative of Brookfield Office Properties, the owner, developer and manager of premier office properties in the United States, Canada and Australia, Arts Brookfield animates public spaces in major cities including New York, Los Angeles, Houston, Denver, Toronto, and Perth. Brookfield`s portfolio is comprised of interests in 109 properties totaling 76 million square feet in the downtown cores of New York, Washington, D.C., Houston, Los Angeles, Denver, Toronto, Calgary, Ottawa, Sydney, Melbourne and Perth, making it the global leader in the ownership and management of office assets.
The first 11 viewers who write into Pix11giveaways@gmail.com today (July 5th) at Noon, will receive a complimentary
NEW Goody TangleFix Brush
The reign of tough tangles has ended thanks to Goody TangleFix! Soft, flexible bristles work with your hair to gently untangle and eliminate knots while the handheld grip allows for better control- an added bonus?
Its compact size makes storing simple!
Make sure to include your name, email address, and phone number to be contacted.
7-Eleven Stores Celebrate 86th Birthday with Free Small Slurpee Drinks on July 11
What: On July 11, aka 7-Eleven Day, the world’s largest convenience store retailer is celebrating its 86th birthday by inviting guests across the U.S. to enjoy a FREE SMALL Slurpee drink at participating 7-Eleven stores nationwide from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., while supplies last. The birthday freebie is a small-size Slurpee drink this year – almost DOUBLE the size of the prior 7.11 ounce birthday drink.
Why: Since 2002, millions of free Slurpee drinks have been shared with guests on this day to thank 7-Eleven customers for their patronage and support.
Where: Participating 7-Eleven stores nationwide, while supplies last.
When: Thursday, July 11
11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Find out more online at www.7-Eleven.com.