Nation & World

Abercrombie & Fitch CEO doesn’t want fat women wearing his clothes

(Orlando Sentinel) – Do your kids wear Abercrombie & Fitch clothes? You might be interested in what the CEO, Mike Jeffries, has to say about fat women.

To keep it quick: He doesn’t like them. They’re not cool. That’s why he won’t make women’s slacks larger than a size 10.

In a 2006 interview with Salon, he said this:

“In every school there are the cool and popular kids, and then there are the not-so-cool kids,” he told the site. “Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely.”

A new book, The New Rules of Retail, reveals his attitude hasn’t changed.

Abercrombie & Fitch CEO Mike Jeffries (ABC TV / May 8, 2013)

Abercrombie & Fitch CEO Mike Jeffries (ABC TV / May 8, 2013)

Jeffries’ comments are so upsetting that a Central Florida man started a petition on Change.org, asking Jeffries to apologize and start selling larger sizes.

In his petition, Benjamin O’Keefe, 18, of Gotha says, “In a world where teens are constantly under pressure to fit the societal norms of beauty, we should be building  them up and helping them love themselves. …”

So far, the petition has more than 1,400 supporters.

Here’s the thing: Jeffries is a businessman, and he can certainly market to whomever he wants.

But who does he think is paying for all those Abercrombie & Fitch jeans and tops? That’s right. Moms. And I suspect not all of them can fit into size 10 jeans.

Seems like alienating the folks who buy his merchandise might not be a smart thing.

(Thankfully, my 16-year-old son’s A&F phase ended a few years ago.)

61 Comments to “Abercrombie & Fitch CEO doesn’t want fat women wearing his clothes”

NICOLE FREEMAN said:
    May 9, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I THAT'S MR. JEFFRIES IS BEING A REAL HIPPOCRATE ON FAT WOMEN. BEING A PLUS SIZE WOMAN MYSELF, I FEEL APPAULD BY HIS STATEMENT. WE LIKE THE LATEST FASHION JUST AS MUCH AS THE NEXT PERSON WHETHER WE'RE SHORT, TALL, FAT, OR SKINNY

andie531 said:
      May 10, 2013 at 1:45 AM

He should add old and ugly to that list – that way he can ban himself from his own store.

Nancy said:
    May 9, 2013 at 5:37 PM

It's absolutely amazing to me that this man is a CEO. He is an idiot and I am happy ymchildren do not shop there anymore.

guest said:
      May 10, 2013 at 5:34 AM

If he's an idiot, then why is A & F stores expanding more stores. It seems to me that the idiots are the customers.

Michelle said:
    May 9, 2013 at 5:57 PM

This man disgusts me even if i could wear his clothes i would never want to wear it. I know he is going to lose a lot of business because of this.

Rosie said:
    May 9, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Well, I guess Jeffries can't wear his own clothes, because he is decidedly UNcool!

Erin said:
    May 9, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I think this is discrimination. This man should not be a CEO to any company. I am glad my kids don't wear his clothes and never will. It amazes me how pathetic some people really are. He may have money and a great job but he is a jerk who should not be aloud to have a store that caters to kids. I have seen cheerleaders that wear larger than a size 10. Just because you are larger does not mean you are not cool or popular.

guest said:
      May 10, 2013 at 5:39 AM

Big and Tall Clothing are discriminating too. They only want fat and tall customers.

Heather said:
        May 10, 2013 at 9:46 AM

they only cater to tall and fat customers because not enough stores have the clothes to fit them. But those store owners don't say "Skinny short people can't shop here." It's the point of the matter- he's an a**

Heather said:
      May 10, 2013 at 9:49 AM

and just because you're a size 10 doesn't mean you aren't healthy or fit. He is ridiculous. Never will I let my children wear his clothes. We concentrate on healthy body images inmy house, not the size you wear.

Jolie said:
    May 9, 2013 at 6:42 PM

He is the epitome of an adult bully…and an unattractive one at that. My kids never liked his stuff anyway. Thank heavens because that crap is made in 3rd world countries with no regulations on quality for the price you pay. What a dolt!

sharon said:
    May 9, 2013 at 6:58 PM

he has no rm. to talk look at that face of his omg UGLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY……………..as hell……omg

kimmie said:
    May 9, 2013 at 7:04 PM

um marilyn monroe was a 14 and i think she was the coolest woman around. ive never baught anything abercrombie and fitch that wasnt at the good will

linda said:
      May 12, 2013 at 8:34 AM

She was most definitely NOT a size 14. Women's clothing sizes have gone down over the years. For example, a pair of jeans that was a size 10 a few years ago is now labeled a size 6. Smart companies know that a woman wants to fit into a size 6 so they are more likely to buy it.

I hate when overweight women use Marilyn Monroe to justify being fat!! "She was a size 14 so its okay if I am too". Blah Blah.

Obesity is a huge problem in the US. I thank Mr. Jeffries to sticking to his beliefs. Bravo!

J said:
    May 9, 2013 at 7:23 PM

There are far more better human beings than this asshole!!!!!

Libra said:
    May 9, 2013 at 7:35 PM

He has the right to say what he wants and to market to whomever he wants so shut up all you cry babies.

sakvua said:
      May 10, 2013 at 12:47 AM

And we have the right to buy fron intelligent people

guest said:
        May 10, 2013 at 5:31 AM

And yes Mr. Jefferies is intellegent too. A & F stores are expanding under his leadership.

xox said:
      May 10, 2013 at 9:52 AM

but if he said "African Americans" or "Jews" it would be considered a hate statement and he would be crucified. He's being discriminatory. period.

linda said:
        May 12, 2013 at 8:36 AM

People don't 'choose' to be african american or jewish. Fat people do. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Becky said:
      May 10, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Yes, he certainly does. He will also have to live with the consequences of these comments. Only time will tell what affect this will have on his company! It will be interesting to see.

MAMAW9 said:
    May 9, 2013 at 7:38 PM

ASSHOLE SUMS IT UP!

loralee said:
    May 9, 2013 at 7:47 PM

He is a douche. King of the douches. To infinity. Plus one. However, I think most women who dare to be a size 12 would prefer that to being this idiot since he looks like the overly Botoxed love child of Jim Gaffigin and Lady Elaine Fairchild.

loralee said:
    May 9, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Hey…kind of lame that you gather name, email, and URL and then log us in and yet we all show up as anonymous.

Stargazerah said:
    May 9, 2013 at 8:05 PM

If you think you are better than everyone because you wear a certain brand of clothes, then you really don't have a great attitude and you probably won't make a lot of friends either. I won't be buying his brand anytime soon and I definitely won't be letting my kids purchase it either.

Kris said:
    May 9, 2013 at 8:20 PM

His reality is obviously skewed if he thinks he falls into the attractive crowd. I hope reality bites him in the a** when he figures out that his market is not so shallow as he is.

Carson said:
    May 9, 2013 at 10:38 PM

This guy is messed up he’s ugly too and what about the unpopular kids how does that make them feel “unpopular” kids should not be excluded

Mary Ann said:
    May 9, 2013 at 11:18 PM

My daughter and I have shopped A&F for Years now. We will never spend another cent at that store again. So disappointed that a&.f has a CEO like that. What gives him the right to discriminate against larger women. Women are beautiful no matter what size they are…. X small or X large.

mtnrunner2 said:
    May 9, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Good thing he doesn't have to rely on his looks or his sensitivity to get women. Yeech.

acteur said:
    May 10, 2013 at 12:04 AM

pissant

sakvia said:
    May 10, 2013 at 12:43 AM

I would not want to buy from an empty headed idiot either= Although I am not fat I will boycott your firm for hiring someone so stupid

jufdt said:
    May 10, 2013 at 1:41 AM

I've never even walked into an A&F and now I have even more reason to avoid that horrible smelling store. I honestly don't even see what is appealing about their clothing since it's not individualized at all. So lets have lots of people running around in the same clothes who are even all the same body shape… well don't we live in an interesting world. I'll be the size ten brunette in comfy jeans, big black boots, and a shirt i've owned for ten years. Screw A&F and their awful views.

Worm said:
    May 10, 2013 at 4:41 AM

What a twat! Just look at his photo: he's been facelifted to within an inch of his life. And a cheap facelift to boot.

Guest said:
    May 10, 2013 at 5:24 AM

If so many of you are so ticked off about A & F, why aren't you ticked off at Big & Tall Clothing too. They discriminate just like A & F. They only want big and tall customers.

guest said:
      May 10, 2013 at 9:54 AM

but they don't say skinny and short people can't shop there because they don't like them. use your brain.

Annie said:
      May 10, 2013 at 12:07 PM

That's tru. Y isn't there a Big & Short?

Momcat2525 said:
    May 10, 2013 at 7:34 AM

What a pompous, judgemental asshat…

Becky H said:
    May 10, 2013 at 9:17 AM

He can refuse to sell any sizes he chooses, but I am going to use the tees of his I have as rags now. I found this whole thing so funny because under the 'ugly' guidelines he would not be allowed in his own store!

anonymous said:
    May 10, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Its wrong for people to say that in order to be hip and want the latest clothes that they have to be a certain size. He is not good looking himself and why only put a picture of his face lets see him standing I bet he isn’t skinny.

Annie said:
    May 10, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I work on seeing someone like this man the way God sees him. Truly, if ever a person needed prayers it's this one.

Fitch said:
    May 10, 2013 at 6:54 PM

did your son's A&F phase end because he got fat?

Hans Lindemann said:
    May 10, 2013 at 10:03 PM

You people are unbelievable! Way to be just like the guy you hate so much. You go from complaining about his comments to making your own about him… So typical. If he wants to sell clothes to one group of ppl big deal! This is just a bunch of ppl that were outcasts in school and hated everyone who had the “preppy look” now they are going after the guy who makes clothing for them… Ridiculous! This guy is not stupid. By alienating the fat and ugly he makes his clothing EXCLUSIVE! thereby assuring he can charge more and rich hot ppl will buy his clothes. Lol nobody wants a cow parading around in there clothing. Bad advertising!

Hans Lindemann said:
    May 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I bet all the people leaving comments on here are bitter fat slobs. “I definitely won’t Be letting my kids shop there” do you force your kids to be as fat as you too? This is why we have a problem with to many fat children everyone is telling them its OK! Well its not! its unhealthy and dangerous! Maybe if more stores had this attitude we would solve the fat problem our county has. Get skinny or get naked we could call it. I think I’ll write Michelle Obama about this maybe her and Jeffrey’s should team up

guest said:
    May 11, 2013 at 3:14 PM

This is AMERICA!!! Mike Jefferies CAN target any customers he wants. I shop at A&F for my daughter, and I will continue to do so until she says no.

Sandra said:
    May 11, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Did you crawl out from under a rock or what? You are an idiot and one that deserves to be fired.

denise said:
    May 11, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I wouldn't wear his clothes anyway.i may be fat,but i can lose weight.You can't lose ugly!

Robyn said:
    May 13, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I don't want to belong in your so called cool kid group! You're a douche bag and all children should be uplifted, not brought down because they are not "popular" enough. Bastard!

Peggy said:
    May 13, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I was furious when I read this! My two children did wear Abercrombie & Fitch when they were in college; all of which I purchased. I intend to share this on my FB page and will never so much as grace their doors again. BTW, Mr Jeffries doesn't look much like one of the "cool and popular kids on campus," and certainly doesn't understand the retail market for that age group…you don't bite the hand that feeds you as bad news travels a lot faster than good news in our society.

bARBATA said:
    July 11, 2013 at 11:25 PM

THE MODEL IN THE SWIMSUIT COLLECTION LOOKS ANOREXIC..

sexy chat room said:
    July 29, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Hmm it looks like your blog ate my first comment (it was extremely long)
    so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying
    your blog. I too am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to the whole thing. Do you have any tips and hints for rookie blog writers? I’d genuinely appreciate it.

秋冬 かごバッグ 正規品 said:
    November 21, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I am extremely impressed with your writing skills and also with the
    layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself?
    Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog like this one today.

品質 サンダル 正規品 said:
    January 8, 2014 at 4:04 AM

There is definately a great deal to know about this topic.

I like all of the points you have made.