LI woman faked cancer to pay for heroin with community fundraisers: DA

LONG ISLAND, New York (PIX11) – “She told me she had bone and brain cancer and that she needed money to pay for it,” said Elizabeth Patricola.

Thousands of people on Long Island, according to the Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota, gave money to 21-year-old Brittany Ozarowski.

“She told me (she had) special treatments, that’s why she wasn’t losing her hair,” said Patricola.

FakeCancer

21-year-old Brittany Ozarowski faked a cancer diagnosis and fooled an entire community just to pay for her heroin habit, according to the DA.

She wasn’t losing her hair because the the DA said Ozarowski didn’t have cancer.

“There was no cancer, only heroin and more heroin,” said Spota.

People donated money to her on her fake website. They held fundraisers or just handed over money. Donation jars are in stores across Nassau and Suffolk County.

On her Facebook page Ozarowki wrote:

“In September of 2011 I was diagnosed with stage two ovarian cancer as well as stomach cancer. After multiple treatments of both radiation and chemotherapy I had beaten cancer as of December of 2011. . . I was cancer free until they had found a tumor on my left hip in February of 2012. That is when I found out I have bone cancer. The cancer has spread to my spine as well as my brain.”

fundraiser

Thousands of people on Long Island, according to the Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota, gave money to 21-year-old Brittany Ozarowski.

“I felt bad from her,” said Nancy Depierro.

Nancy Depierro is another business owner who gave money. Authorities said Ozarowski even scammed her family.

Her grandmother sold her house to pay for her grandmother’s so-called treatments.
“She had every answer, every answer,” said Depierro.

Elizabeth Patricola knows the burden of cancer and would never think someone could fake something so serious.

“Overwhelmed with grief with anger..I couldn’t imagine someone could do this,” said Patricola.

Ozarowski has a prior arrest record. She’s being held on $5,000 bail. She was arrested after a cancer victim’s father tipped off police.

15 Comments to “LI woman faked cancer to pay for heroin with community fundraisers: DA”

patricia borelli said:
    April 10, 2013 at 8:49 PM

thats messed. there are alot of people that have all kinds of cancer especially little kids. she should be a shamed of her self, taking peoples money for her own addiction.she deserves every thing she gets.shame on her.

joe m said:
    April 10, 2013 at 9:11 PM

what a shame she is pretty girl shit i would have paid for her heroin

Esco said:
    April 10, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Bet alot of folks are mad at her. All the lies caught up and crying wolf doesn't work anymore. Time to pay the piper..

Sydney said:
    April 11, 2013 at 4:08 PM

This girl is a disgusting excuse for a human being. I lost my Father to cancer and my Mother is now in remission from stage 4 breast cancer. I hope she gets the punishment that she deserves.

R H said:
    April 11, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Please prosecute her to the full exstint of the law. That's just screwed up, how could she. When there's thousands upon thousands of people that have real cancer and needs real meds. People who care gave to her habit. Straight up, she's need her azz whipped and see how it really feel to go through pain and suffering. She just messed it up for everybody else for future trust.

Pamela said:
    April 11, 2013 at 6:31 PM

This is what Heroin does. I have a son who is an addict. I know that they will do anything to get it. She is something of an entrepreneur, however, and probably could be really good in the non-profit world if she was clean.

clwbirder said:
    April 11, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I have been fighting lung cancer for 18 months, & it makes me ill to see people like this. There is no excuse for this kind of scamming honest people who just wanted to help her. Now others who really need it may not get the help they need. Keep in mind tho, what goes around comes around.

pamitoo said:
    April 11, 2013 at 9:42 PM

This little spoiled brat needs to be made to work at a minimum wage job until the total of ALL donations is paid back, either to the donors or to a cancer organization. What a waste of skin. Too bad she didn't use her smarts for something good in life. It doesn't matter what she does with the rest of her life, nobody will ever believe a thing she says or does.

Hobo said:
    April 12, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I would have given her money and had an "arrangement" with her..SEXY HOTTIE!!!!