Former Columbia University student found dead in dorm
Morningside Heights, Upper Manhattan (PIX11) – Students on the campus of Columbia University reacted with sadness to the news that a former Columbia student was found dead of what looks like an apparent drug overdose inside a friend’s dorm room.
“That’s. awful, especially on Easter,” student Will Newland told PIX 11. “That’s a terrible tragedy for the university and the community.
Just before noon, the 21-year-old woman from upstate New York was found unconscious by her boyfriend and a female friend in the East Campus residence hall at 70 Morningside Drive. Both students and parents were shocked to learn of the death of the student who stopped attending classes at the Ivy League school last year.
“I hope it wasn’t intentional,” said Dr. Edward Barnes, a parent of a Columbia student. “I hope she wasn’t trying to hurt herself. It’s a high pressure school where you always have depression and mental illness.” It’s very difficult.
Police are awaiting autopsy results from the Medical Examiner’s Office to determine the exact cause of death.