Jersey shoppers FURIOUS as they face 4% fee for using credit cards

Shoppers at the Bergen Town Center outlets are furious with that new law that could cost them 4-percent on credit card purchases.

Everyone PIX11 News spoke with told us they had no idea the new law was going into effect, and they say if stores charge them to use a credit card they’ll either pay cash or find a new place to shop.

Consumer groups are calling it a check out fee.  Starting Sunday stores in New Jersey will be allowed to charge shoppers, who pay with a credit card, up to 4-percent on their total bill.

The new law comes after a settlement between retailers, Visa, MasterCard and nine major banks.

Right now, stores pay credit card companies up to 3-percent each time they swipe your card.

The new law allows, but does not require, stores to pass that cost onto the customer.

Shoppers say they’ll take that into account before they check out.

Stores that choose to charge the new credit card fee have to notify customers with signs at the entrance and at the cash register.

It’s not clear what stores will charge to swipe your credit card, so shoppers need to be on the lookout.

But some say even if they’re forced to pay the fee, some stores will still get their business.

It’s unlikely that big box stores like Target will start charging this fee right away because they label themselves as a discount store.

As for New York and Connecticut shoppers, you won’t have to pay the fee because those states outlaw surcharge fees.

23 Comments to “Jersey shoppers FURIOUS as they face 4% fee for using credit cards”

Historyshowsus said:
    January 25, 2013 at 11:52 PM

So whats the problem? All you libs think that the answer to all our problems is to be like Europe. This is how it is done over there. With over 20 years in the navy I tried always to pay cash to avoid these charges when overseas.

AlwaysThinkTwice said:
      January 26, 2013 at 7:53 PM

And remember this………

every time you pay with cash YOU ESTABLISH ** NO CREDIT ** so that means if you ever need a mortgage or a loan of some kind, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO GET IT!!! YOU WILL HAVE NO CREDIT TO SHOW YOU CAN PAY BACK!!!
      while those of us who have used credit cards, and have established credit by paying back & making on time payments…… Will get a mortgage or loan….. .

Avoiding charges is good but when you have no choice for those of us on fixed incomes &/or those us who are single parents maybe even with a household that has 1 income &/or get paid once/twice a month need to use our cards…….. WE GET SCREWED!!!

ShowMe said:
      January 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM

the problem is you're a whinging moron who blames all your problems on 'libs'

harry said:
    January 26, 2013 at 11:48 AM

i always ask for a "cash discount." …i never "shop with a credit card" so all you suckers keep making money for these banks …i choose not to ….witch coincidentally really is THE ONE and ONLY power you have as an american citizen to change ANYTHING …..where your money is spent …and THAT my friends is why they keep confiscating it to use as they ..i.e.( the government / banks ) sees fit …..

AlwaysThinkTwice said:
      January 26, 2013 at 7:50 PM

And remember this………

So my question now is this…….. WHO WILL BE THE SUCK THEN??? Thanks……

free willy said:
        January 26, 2013 at 11:18 PM

do it the old fashioned way: save then buy. morons.

Mark abrahms said:
        January 27, 2013 at 1:14 AM

That not the issues idiot. Its a convenience. It is very inconvenient to have to know how much cash to carry around.

Rose said:
      January 26, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Since I don't pay an annual fee, and they don't charge me any late fees since I always pay on time, the bank isn't getting money from me. Using Cash and credit card would be the same for me.

If you think that deciding where you your money is spent is the only power as an American citizen, that is just sad. Considering that there is very little say in how your taxes are spent, I guess your one power is a very small.

ohh yeah, just a note, Witch is different from which. =) maybe spending some of that money on education would be a good investment.

Paul said:
    January 26, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Since Chritie has been governor, my property tax continues to rise, I am faced with paying sales tax to amazon thanks to a "deal" Christie made to open a warehouse in NJ, and now this.

Chick said:
    January 28, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Change is what the country wanted and change is what your getting not the same America I remember!!!

Dominick said:
    January 28, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Why did the administrator delete my comment?

Maria said:
    January 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM

How come I can't make a comment, I keep getting it come back as comment deleted

Maria said:
    January 28, 2013 at 1:27 PM

New York still charge a surcharge at the gas station for using credit cards.

jen said:
    January 30, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Do they realize how long it will take to check out when everyone goes back to writing paper checks? Manager to checkouts 5,7,8, and 10 for check approvals

Aimee said:
    January 30, 2013 at 9:48 AM

If this is illegal in New York, why do we have to pay a fee to government agencies, and to utility companies when paying online?

Cream De said:
    February 13, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I own a small restaurant business, so I can see how this surcharge makes sense. I pay thousands of dollars in credit card fees every month. The reason why I started accepting them in the first place was to stop hearing the complaints from customers about why I don't accept them. They haven't increased my business, only added to my monthly expenses. People have to understand that businesses are the ones paying for the "frequent miles" and all the "rewards." I don't plan on implementing the surcharge policy because the economy is bad enough, so I cannot afford to lose more business than I already have. I just want people to understand that small business is the one that takes the hit with credit card fees. Please use cash.

Tom said:
    March 17, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I'm sorry, but no business pays credit card fees! Those fees are paid by the customer. They are also shared by the cash customer. This is the cost of doing business and the customer has told the business that if you hide my fees, I will be glad to pay them. If you try to show me those fees, I'll protest.
    I feel that I am smart by paying my bill each month, but any intelligent person knows these Banks aren't getting rich without someone paying.
    The really dumb one is the person who thinks they are not paying for using a credit card.

My money engine said:
    April 3, 2013 at 1:48 AM

A very informative shared about Jersey shoppers furious as they face for fee for using credit cards info that is really amazing. This description about using credit cards is really useful to all. I like this. Thanks and continue it up !

Need Cash Now said:
    May 17, 2013 at 2:34 AM

You must also understand that not just is it wise to settle a short term loan
    when possible, it also adds to your credit score if you have repaid the loan back in time.

Poor credit loans are being used up by a growing number of folks today,
    largely being a consequence of the struggling
    global monetary system.

mantes said:
    June 25, 2013 at 7:50 AM

we do have the right to not pay a fee to government agencies, and to utility companies when paying online

Complete Mobile Home Supply Coupon Code said:
    October 6, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Its such as you learn my mind! You seem to grasp a lot approximately this, like you wrote the e book in it or something.
    I feel that you simply could do with a few p.c. to pressure the message home a little
    bit, but instead of that, that is great blog. A fantastic read.
    I’ll definitely be back.

marrakech trips said:
    November 18, 2013 at 8:37 AM

excursion skoura said:
    November 20, 2013 at 6:35 AM

People have to understand that businesses are the ones paying for the "frequent miles" and all the "rewards" .