In a press conference Saturday morning, Connecticut State Police Lt. Paul Vance said the names of the  27 victims from the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown would be released later Saturday when the Medical Examiner’s Office finishes their investigation.

Another press conference will be held later Saturday, according to Lt. Vance, that would include the medical examiner, schools superintendent, town leaders.

Lt. Vance did not give up many more details about the investigation, but did say 20-year-old gunman Adam Lanza had “forced his way into the school” and was not voluntarily allowed to enter the premises.

He also said his investigators found “a very good evidence” that would be crucial in painting a complete picture of the gunman and circumstances surrounding the massacre.

Among the victims were 20 children — 18 who were pronounced dead at the scene and two who died at the hospital — and six adults. The school’s assistant principal was shot in the leg, but survived and was being treated at Danbury Hospital.

Lt. Vance said she is doing fine and would be  instrumental in the investigation

Authorities  also confirmed Friday the school’s newly installed principal, 47-year-old Dawn Hochsprung, was  found dead.  School psychologist Mary J. Sherlach, 56, was also reported among the dead.

Police have already confirmed shooter Adam Lanza was found dead inside the school, and it is believed he took his own life.  He had killed his mother Nancy Lanza, 52, inside her nearby home just before traveling to the primary school.

8 Comments to “Authorities to confirm names of the 27 victims from Newtown school shooting massacre”

Barbara said:
    December 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM

My heart & prayers goes these innocent victims families.. I can’t even imagine the hurt & disbelief they are experiencing. How can a human being thinks so little of how valuable & precious life is, and to rob the adults and those little babies of theirs lives. I feel hurt, angry and very sad for the families. We the people of the world must pray and contiuine to pray for all the families involved in this tragedy. And pray that this doesn’t happen again. May God bless America…

continue

Lori Ugolik said:
    December 15, 2012 at 1:55 PM

My prayers and condolences to my friends and family in my hometown. I am still heartbroken, in shock, and can not believe how someone can commit such an act of evil on innocent children, and the teachers who were true heroes and heronies. As a Newtowner born and raised there, my heart will always be there. This is too surreal at this moment. Please pray for all the families , and keep them in your thoughts. We will get through this, we are a strong community, but will take time to heal.

Altair Zielite said:
    December 15, 2012 at 2:20 PM

“gunman”, “gunman”, every article I read it’s “gunman”… remember when reporters called them “alleged murderers?

Heartbroken New Yorker said:
      December 15, 2012 at 7:06 PM

He’s not an alleged murderer. That S.O.B was the devil reincarnated. He’s no better than the scum beneath my shoe! May his soul burn in hell for all eternity and may the families of the victims find peace and strength to live on.

Lorraine said:
    December 15, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I'm so, so sorry for the families. I'm sorry and I will be praying for you.

Richard Dey said:
    December 16, 2012 at 4:56 AM

My family had a loaded rifle over the mantle in the kitchen and a loaded shotgun over the fireplace in the living room. Those days are over. Adam Lanza has shot the 2nd Amendment. The game is no longer target practice or a bad-hair day. When the right to protect ourselves becomes a danger to us, we need to get rid of it. Will we excise that right from the Constitution? or will we chop it out and butcher the whole? Probably the latter. Notwithstanding, we need to protect ourselves from apologists like the NRA. We have no choice, but neither do we have to apologize. In protecting our safety as a nation, gunslingers have endangered our lives as a people. Guns will be gone. Is religion next?

Penny DeCheck said:
    December 16, 2012 at 1:13 PM

"Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.