NEW YORK (PIX11) – Dogs, cats and other animals are suffering and even dying needlessly all over New York CIty, and the culprit behind their hurt, according to PIX11 News sources, is the management of an organization that’s supposed to be helping animals.

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals reported receiving $122 million in donations last year in its cause to prevent animal cruelty, but some whistleblowers told PIX11 News that the ASPCA is preventing its own animal cruelty investigators from doing their jobs.

The 146 year-old organization has its own law enforcement division, called ASPCA Humane Law Enforcement, or HLE.  Many of its 14 armed officers are NYPD retirees who, after a full 20-year distinguished career in the police force, pursue their passion for helping animals by joining HLE.  They spend 10-hour days, seven days a week, investigating thousands of calls per year of cruelty to animals.

However, changes in HLE management in recent years have reduced investigators’ ability to fully pursue cases of abuse, according to PIX11 News sources, and the result, they say, has put many animals’ health in danger, and even cost some animals their lives.

Fatal Consequences

An HLE case file obtained by PIX11 News features some very disturbing images.  They are about a half dozen photographs that a responding HLE investigator was required to take of a pit bull mix that was so severely emaciated and badly neglected that it died.  The case file clearly points out in its narrative, “This case is 2 weeks old,” too long after the ASPCA received an anonymous  complaint about the starved dog for HLE officers to step in and save the dog’s life.

The cause of the delay in responding, according to sources familiar with HLE policies, is that the HLE’s overall caseload is severely backlogged.  PIX11 obtained a photograph reportedly taken inside HLE’s operations center of printed-out animal cruelty complaint files for cases that have not yet been investigated.  Sources tell PIX11 News that at the end of a typical calendar year, the number of uninvestigated complaints is under 30.

The photo of this year’s uninvestigated case files, however, shows five stacks of papers, hundreds of files deep.  In fact, PIX11 also received a copy of a complaint letter addressed to the chief operating officer of the ASPCA from the Spay Neuter Intervention Project, or SNIP, a separate organization that works closely with the ASPCA.  The SNIP letter not only estimates the number of backlogged cases to be 900, it also says “Humane Law Enforcement, the foundation and core of the ASPCA, has crumbled,” and goes on to say that “allegations of incompetence” against the directors of HLE “are rampant.”

Emaciated dog

Sources say this emaciated dog died before ASPCA investigators could respond to a complaint of the dog being abused.

PIX11 went to HLE’s operations center in Glendale, Queens in search of the director of the division, Howard Lawrence, in order to hear from him what had caused the backlog of cases.   A staff member at the center said that Lawrence was not in the office at the time.

However, other ASPCA documents obtained by PIX11 News show that in February 2011, HLE created a policy of limiting the daily  number of cases its investigators could pursue to five, even if investigative officers had time to do more than the new daily limit.  Sources say that prior to the new policy being implemented, the number of cases that each of HLE’s 14 officers would investigate daily was at least seven on average, and that ten cases per day was not uncommon.

Couple that with the fact that attrition has reduced the number of HLE officers to 14 from 22 as recently as 2008, and you have a plummet in the number of cases the HLE Force can investigate.  Potentially, the reduction is by as much as 50%.  The result is cases like that of the pit bull mix found dead two weeks after a concerned citizen called the ASPCA.

That case is by no means isolated.  PIX11 also obtained other case reports in which dogs were dead by the time investigators were finally given the case files for the called-in complaints.  In one case, the investigator wasn’t able to respond to the complaint until seven days after it was called in. In another, the complaint wasn’t followed up for two-and-a-half months.

When HLE Director Howard Lawrence was unavailable, his office referred PIX11 to the ASPCA’s media office for comment.  It issued a statement at the end of the business day Wednesday regarding the months-long backlog of cases, which said, in part, “This is an inaccurate representation.  While it is not unusual for law enforcement agencies to have cases in the queue, case count is not an indicator of actual animals suffering.  We handle thousands of cruelty complaints every year, and cases are prioritized by the gravity of the complaint.  In keeping with our mission to end animal suffering, we are constantly looking at ways to expand our reach.”

63 Comments to “FIRST ON PIX: NYC pets and other animals in danger as ASPCA investigations slowed by top officials”

Joanne Will said:
    December 12, 2012 at 5:23 PM

James, I used to be an avid supporter financially and otherwise of the ASPCA. I contributed at least one $100.00 per year gift, sometimes more . Then I realized that I was getting 2 or 3 requests for donations per week. I had felt that this was too much being spent on advertising, with no control. I discontinued my gifts a few months ago. Now to see your piece on the backlog of ASPCA cases and those poor neglected animals, I am appalled at the lack of responsiblity by this organization (which is supposed to help these poor creatures), in doing their jobs.

stephanie said:
      December 15, 2012 at 7:34 PM

i will not give a dime to the aspca, i actually thouht they helped aniamls. shame on these people and they need to shut it down and give the money to the humane society. animals don't deserve this, someone needs to starve and kill these ceos of this organizations

JenniferT said:
        December 22, 2013 at 3:50 PM

The Humane Society of the United States is no better, and maybe even WORSE than the ASPCA. They spend nearly a third of their income begging for more money, and have an end goal of the elimination of ALL human/animal relationships, including your pets. If you want to help animals in need, explore your local shelters. Most locally run shelters are REAL animal advocates, and actually DO the work to help abused, neglected, homeless, and lost animals. Give of your time and money to these local organizations who are willing to lead you through their facility and explain to you what they're doing and why.

Anon said:
      April 4, 2013 at 1:13 AM

I KNOW HOWIE LAWRENCE FROM THE NYPD AND HE IS OF THE HIGHEST INTEGRITY AND A TRUE GENTLEMAN.

Joanne Will said:
    December 12, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Brian Forehand said:
      December 14, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Excellent response.

CiscoR. said:
    December 12, 2012 at 5:36 PM

James, my brother's neighbor just killed his dog this past Saturday. Many people in his building has called 911 to report the owner and they were sent to 311. They called 311 and they were referred to ASCPA Law Enforcement. ASPCA said they do not pick up dead animals, put him in a black bag and put the dog in the trash. The building where he lives at has camera's and he is caught on camera beating his dog and dumping the body in front of the building. The landlord didn't report him to officials, he was told to dispose of the dog. I found the makeshift grave but I did not touch it, I do not want to tamper with evidence. ASPCA has an open case on this owner and yet they refuse to act on it. If they are backlogged, then they should be held responsible as well for the death of this dog. I want this dirt bag out of the building where my brother lives at, getting away with hurting an animal is not justice, ASPCA allows him to have another dog? What is to say he won't kill him as well… Please tell me how I can send you the photos of the makeshift grave or this dirt bags address…

Farah said:
    December 12, 2012 at 7:39 PM

wow. Kind of speechless here. The ASPCA has a public trust, which they are betraying. The city is complicit in this-if they send the 311 callers to the ASPCA. That picture is heart-wrenching. I really hope this is not forgotten, or slipped under the run. I wonder if all their high-profile supporters know this, and if they don't, how they'd feel if they saw this? James, you should thrust a microphone in Sarah MacLaughlin's face and ask her how she feels now.

Neil said:
    December 12, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Two week backlog? I had been contacting them (as had my neighbors) for months, and unable to get an agent to respond to my messages.

Xena said:
      December 15, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Don't blame the individual agents. Blame the HLE Director Howard Lawrence who cut the number of agents investigating the cases. I've met the agents when they helped my neighbor. They were the nicest people and really care about the animals they rescue. I know that any agent that tried to do something about it is no longer there. It's a shame.

Tim said:
    December 12, 2012 at 11:47 PM

James, while uptown at the KILL Center, adopting a cat, I saw a white truck arrive and pull around. I asked why it was pulling around and was told that was a private truck bringing animals to the KILL Center. I asked a cleaning woman where the animals came from. She said to me in a hush tone asking me to keep it quiet that she told me. "Those poor animals came from NON-KILL Centers, They do every day or several times a week." I asked what NON-KILL Centers and she said "they like to say they don't kill, but their dogs and cats come her and die, they are the ASPCA and Bide-A-Wee sending their unwanted animals." I quit giving to animal shelters in NYC knowing all participate in this bloodshed and lies.

Mary said:
      December 16, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Very true. I adopted a dog from a small local rescue group and they told me that the best known large animal 'rescues' outsource the euthanasia to kill shelters such as New York Animal Care and Control. I now only contribute to local rescue groups such as Bobbi and the Strays and Ruff House Rescue who NEVER kill or transfer dogs to kill shelters.

annonymus said:
    December 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Unfortunately the source who reported this information to PIX 11 is unreliable. PIX should have done some more research on the so called source. They would have found that the source is in no way affilated or in no way works with the organization in question. The source is a chronic sore on the community in which it resides. PIX would have also found that there are several complaints filed by neighborhood residents in which the source conducts its business. PIX should investigate its "sources" more closely to determine if they are reliable or just misguided in their actions. Animal abuse is a crime that is punishable by jail time and/or fines. If there is evidence of such action it should be turned over to NYPD not HLE.

Farah said:
      December 13, 2012 at 7:14 AM

SNIP works with the ASPCA on a daily basis. SNIP's vehicle was donated to SNIP by the ASPCA. SNIP is not unreliable. SNIP definitely works with the "organization in question," the ASPCA.

Vicki said:
      December 14, 2012 at 6:16 PM

I can't help but wonder if as annonymus you are one of the "OFFICIALS" who have "restructured" the HLE and hog-tied them to a 5 case per day limit.

Also if you know the source name him or her. Are you afraid of a liable suit? It's not defamation of character if it's true. So quit hiding in the shadows and name yourself and the source.

Evil flourishes when good men do nothing – yes it's my literary license and btw men refers to mankind not just to males. So everyone who cares call and register complaints that the ASPCA needs to better utilize their people power.

professional said:
    December 13, 2012 at 12:15 AM

On the other issue of animals being herded to euthanasia it is absolutely untrue. Yes countless numbers of animals are put down each year by shelters. This is not because the workers derive pure pleasure in euthanizing animals, absurd. I have worked in shelters as a medical professional and can sadly say the reason there are so many animals euthanized each year is because pet owners are irresponsible. They refuse to have their animals spayed or neutesred contributing to the overpopulation of animals. These animals are either turned loose or sold to/given away to well intended people who do not relize that raising a pet is hard work. Therefore more animals get turnded loose unaltered and mate leading to more overpopulation. These animals than make it to already overcrowded shelters and unfortunately there is not enough adoptions to make more room. So for anyone to suggest that euthanising animals is a joy should perhaps work in a shelter for a day and see what really goes on and why before making such outlandish allegations.

Sensible1 said:
      December 13, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Oh, I do volunteer regularly at a shelter, so I know a little bit about what goes on. Anybody, including yourself that can KILL an innocent, healthy adoptably animal and sleep at night is a cold, hard hearted individual… somebody I would personally not want to know. There absolutely ARE other answers. One of the answers is that organizations such as the ASPCA should concentrate on organizing free spay and neuter programs, free spay or neuter and release programs for feral cats and much needed financial assistance for no kill rescue groups…instead of huge salaries and retirement funds, untold millions wasted on advertising and unwarranted rescue raids on innocent people trying to save the lives of animals. Apparently, the ASPCA can beg for money all day long and that's just fine, but let a rescue group ask them for help and they will be branded hoarders and targeted for one of their well promoted, publicity oriented rescue raids. Personally, I'm sick of it all.

KLK said:
      December 14, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Huh?? This piece is NOT about the issue of euthanasia; don't deflect from the subject, mr. "professional." It's about the SERIOUS , heartbreaking issue of poor management by this ASPCA branch, tying hands needlessly of HLE rescuers and betraying citizens AND ANIMALS in doing so!!!

Debbie said:
      December 14, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I am a Cat Advocate and I share every cat on DEATHROW..everyday..7 days a week..We had to plead with rescues to rescue a mother cat who gave birth in the NYCACC to two babies that were going to be kill today..Two innocent lives and a mother cat…Thank God and the rescues..they are pulled and in proper caring hands..We URGE people to SPAY AND NEUTAR their pets…They have low cost spaying and neutaring clincs..there is no reason for them not to spay and neutar..Instead they bring their animals to the A and those beautiful lives are put on DEATHROW to be killed..THIS IS WRONG..The excuses they have are WRONG…Allergic..hey, if you know you are allergic, why did you get a cat or dog…? STOP KILLING YOUR PETS…You are better off finding a person on your own to adopt your beloved pets..rather than bringing them to the A where they are served a DEATH SENTENCE….You have a cat or dog for 13 years..you give them to the A..you have just signed their death sentence, unless one of US r them….and not all have been rescued..So, before anyone decides to bring their beloved pets to the NYCACC remember what I said..You will be signing their DEATH SENTENCE….

Animaluver said:
      December 15, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Some "professional"! Here we go again…it's the fault of irresponsible owners, the fault of those unspayed animals who love to reproduce, the fault of everyone except regressive shelter directors who are too darn lazy to do the hard work it takes to save lives. It's so much easier to empty cages by killing animals rather than by running events, creating a foster network, inviting in volunteers, rescues, getting out into the community to network and to get PR and visibility for the animals. You need to move into the 21st century and find out what No Kill is really all about instead of repeating the same old excuses and crappola we have been listening to for years. http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?p=11375

AnonymousKiller said:
    December 13, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Hey, anonymous learn how to spell. You don't know who is realiable, even nypd is not realiable, their not even train to handle any dogs. How many tragic stories about nypd shooting a innocent pitbull running to them curious. I've met many friendly pitbulls and none vicious. You must have a personal vendetta agianst the source. Obviously the source have many facts that you don't agree on. Get a fucking life! You do not know what animal abuse is! You are a sad case of ignorance. The source should continue to flush out the relative information to PIX and expose all the fallacy of the department. The demise won't be on the hardworking officers but the animals. They will continue to suffer. Get rid of overpaid management!

Anonymous said:
      December 13, 2012 at 6:02 AM

Thank you for pointing out my spelling issues, perhaps I will not do the same as to call you out on your incorrect use of the english language! It is so easy to judge people isn't it. When you have worked in this field for years and have been privy to facts than I will take your opinion into consideration. Who even mentioned pitbulls were not friendly cause i never did? And just to point out there are plenty of dogs of all breeds that are friendly and not so friendly. If you are looking for ignorance try looking in the mirror. I work in this field and yes I know the source and the organization in question very well. And just to clarify I have a life and a very good one. I actually am active in animal welfare as I am sure you are. (sigh)

lyna said:
    December 13, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Finally! The truth is out even before I was going to send a letter to the head of the humane law enforcement dept to complain about their backlog. People need to donate to a local / small rescue group. They are the ones going out there and pulling animals out of kill lists. The aspcs gets millions and millions of donated money, inheritence, real estate etc from animal lovers and what do they do? Spend more money on sara mcglockin whatever her name is to sing sadsongs. They spend donated money on admins abd opening more offices. What they should be doing is hire more law enforcement officers to take care if the backlog and answer all complaints. Time is precious. Every minute counts. They are paid to save animals lives. Another thing is that they only pull out cute dogs and cats from cacc to their adoption unit. They dont take just any abandoned/lost pets. Isnt that discriminating? They should be using a chunk of those millions to expabd their adoption center and help more animals from kill shelters. I have so many friends, family and co workers who donate to the aspca on a monthly basis. I have been telling them to donate to local shelters instead because I had an experience regarding an animal abuse case which invokved my evil tenant. And of course, nothing happened to her.

Farah said:
    December 13, 2012 at 7:13 AM

This story seems to have disappeared. I guess when an org takes in 121 MILLION dollars a year, and the president makes around 700 THOUSAND dollars a year, this is to be expected. This department is a mess, there are HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of unanswered jobs. It was not like this in the past, it is a result of the new "management" of the department. End it already, they are incompetent to handle this responsibility. Give it to the police department. I find it horrifying that someone got this story squashed,
    WHERE IS THE FOLLOW UP TO THIS STORY? James you said there'd be more at 10, where is it?

Annoymous said:
    December 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I am absolutely appalled by this story. I am a ASPCA monthly contributor and I intended to cancel my donations.

Vicki said:
      December 14, 2012 at 6:23 PM

PLease please – make sure when you do stop giving to the ASPCA you DO find a RESCUE or TWO or more to give you donation to. No this is not an order or an ultimatum, but rather a please for the RESCUES. You can find MANY listing their saved pets on petfrinder.com – just put in your zip code and scroll through the pages upon pages. THANK YOUR FOR WHAT YOU DO TO HELP RESCUES.

Derek said:
    December 13, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Thank you James Ford and Pix11 for exposing one of the many examples of animal torture and killing that takes place within the ASPCA and other government and charity funded organizations. Unfortunately this incident is not the exception, but rather the rule.

Please read the below links to see many more examples: http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?p=11127 http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?p=7682

Please continue to investigate and expose the atrocities that are taking place at the hands of the ASPCA.

Thank you!

Jack Tripper said:
    December 13, 2012 at 5:02 PM

HLE is a different branch of the ASPCA and is apart of the state of NY. Donations that are contributed to the ASPCA are not going towards HLE or anyother department within the ASPCA which all have their own fundings.

farah said:
      December 13, 2012 at 6:39 PM

ABSOLUTELY WRONG.
      It is not another "branch" there is ONE aspca, and HLE is the law enforcement department. TONS of donations contributed to the aspca are because of the work of the HLE officers. Ever heard of Animal Precinct? There is ONE aspca, with many departments, like any huge organization, and they are piss poor at management. WHere on earth did you come up with that??

Dale Swisher said:
    December 13, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I volunteer at a free-range cat sanctuary in FL (I'm from NJ). Last Feb. 27 the ASPCA, without consultation with the owner, raided the ranch and put 653 cats and 2 Great Pyrenees dogs in a hot shelter in Jacksonville, FL, and then had adoptions in several locations in FL. It was a tragedy. The cats were well cared for and happy at the sanctuary. Then the ASPCA sued the ranch for 1.8 million dollars for caring for the cats for about 6 months. They recently LOST the case, and will not collect a cent from the location. The ASPCA collects donations for its "rescues" and should not have tried to bill the ranch. Their behavior was despicable & some of their staff members are mean-spirited and inhumane. I had a cat at the ranch and was told that I could not reclaim it because I supported the ranch. Each adoption location was given a list of ranch supporters, and people whose names were on the list were not allowed in the facility to adopt. That is gross discrimination and in violation of a Order by the Madison County Court which said ranch supporters were not to be denied adoptions solely because they supported the ranch. The ASPCA did violate that Order and then made a motion in court that they not be required to adhere to the local law, when it suited them. That hearing is Dec. 19. The ranch, Caboodle Ranch, has about 20,000 followers and it was the largest free-range cat sanctuary in the world. The ASPCA could have partnered and created an asset to the county. It has been a disgraceful event in ASPCA history and they have lost thousands of supporters. We are continuing to fight them in court and in public opinion.

Diogenes said:
      December 14, 2012 at 9:12 AM

You conveniently neglect to mention why the Caboodle Ranch was raided, or that Craig Grant, the owner, is facing felony animal cruelty charges. The animals were well cared for, you say? A lot of people must have believed otherwise, since 30 other organizations joined the in raid. And the ASPCA could have partnered Caboodle Ranch instead of raiding it? Why did the Ranch need partnering if the animals were well cared for? And, in fact, a court found Grant was incapable of providing proper care for the cats, so why should the rescue organizations waste time and effort trying to resurrect a failed operation? How could it be other than a failed operation, with one man trying to care for 700 cats by himself? For the truth about the Ranch, including evidence and court documents, go to caboodleranch.net. By the way, how do you know the ASPCA lost thousands of supporters because of the Ranch? Did the ASPCA share its membership data with you?

Advocate said:
      December 14, 2012 at 7:24 PM

This post contains so many lies, I don't even know where to begin. Volunteer? Since when does one or two visits qualify as "volunteering"? Really, Dale, your story becomes more dramatic and farther from the truth every time you tell it. The name of the place she is referring to was Caboodle Ranch in Lee, FL. Dale was NOT at CR when it was raided so cannot comment on the behavior of the ASPCA staff. Dale neglects to mention that she dumped her cats at CR because they urinated on her furniture. She did not try to reclaim them from CR – only long after they were seized. CR is not/has never been the largest cat "sanctuary" in the world. The ASPCA could not have "partnered" with CR – CR turned down every offer of assistance they received from every organization that offered help. To see photographs, read court documents, review evidence files from the case, please visit http://www.caboodleranch.net

Melissa said:
    December 13, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I don’t even live in NY but having been aware of the situation for awhile, and hating how helpless I am, have been emailing the mayor about the horrible state of animal control and welfare in his city.. Below is the ridiculous response i received.
    ———————-
    Dear Ms…

Thank you for your email about animal care in New York City. I appreciate your taking the time to write.

In 2011, the City, the ASPCA, and the Mayor’s Alliance for NYC’s Animals announced an agreement that significantly enhances services and care for the dogs and cats that come into our animal shelter system. The number of staff in animal shelters and receiving centers is increasing, and the number of hours and days animals may be dropped off or picked up is expanding. To help control the City’s feral cat population, the Health Department now requires that free-roaming cats be spayed or neutered. In addition to these program enhancements, the Health Department is investing in significant capital improvements for animal care facilities in Staten Island and Queens.

Even as the national downturn continues to require that City government tighten its belt and make tough choices, we remain fully committed to significantly improving the way animals are cared for while they await adoption. If you are interested in learning more about our City’s programs or how you can directly support Animal Care & Control of NYC, I encourage you to call 311 or visit http://www.nyc.gov.

Thank you again for writing to me about this important issue.

Sincerely,
    Michael R. Bloomberg

————————————

Dear Mr. Mayor,

I work hard, I’m educated, I pay taxes and I vote, as do many other animal lovers. Please do us the courtesy of not treating us like idiots, which is exactly what you’re doing with the party line that gets sent out in response to the many inquiries and complaints that I KNOW you receive.

I find it so upsetting that in such a great city, this mass killing and abuse is ongoing, hidden in plain site. With all the wealth, power, and influence that exists in such a concentrated area, there is no one who is willing to stand up for these poor animals .
    How truly sad is that.

——————————-

farah said:
    December 13, 2012 at 9:00 PM

WHERE IS THE FOLLOW UP, JAMES???

Regina Massaro said:
    December 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Reply to Anonymous:

Regina Massaro/Spay Neuter Intervention Project (SNIP) did not leak information (truth) to the media, rather it was a member of Humane Law Enforcement/ASPCA. As for being a chronic sore in a community where SNIP does business, SNIP is not a business, it is an animal rescue organization, which is voluntary, that means no salary and often if not always, the volunteers fund. As for the community, do you mean the very same people who walk past the several hundred ferals throughout the community that are hungry and in some instances struck by vehicles and left to die. It is obvious the commentor is clueless – animal cruelty is investigated by the ASPCA, not NYPD. The ASPCA honored Regina Massaro, has been featured in ASPCA Animal Watch and Animal Precinct with the ASPCA. Spay/Neuter clinics which are stationed at Petland Discounts locations throughout NYC was at the request of SNIP. SNIP did not receive a vehicle from the ASPCA, it was granted from the DJ&T Foundation. I have no doubt the allegations/accusations against the individuals are anything but the truth. The folders speak volumes. Shameful.

Regina Massaro
    SNIP.

PuppyLady said:
      December 13, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Regina, you said the aspca has honored you, so you do know them. Has it always been like this? What happened here to make it such a mess?

Regina Massaro said:
    December 13, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Mayor Bloomberg failed to mention that the ASPCA charges rescuers to spay/neuter free roaming cats and that effective January 1, 2013, the fees will increase. Currently fee is $5.00 per surgery, $5.00 for vaccines and $10.00 for flea/mite treatment. Then add cost for food prior to surgery, during recovery and gasoline usage to and from trapping locations and to spay/neuter clinics. As for Animal Care and Control of NYC, it is a joke. Maybor Bloomberg and the Mayor's Alliance for NYC Animals should be ashamed.

MLorraine said:
    December 13, 2012 at 9:47 PM

This is why I support only small, independently run no-kill shelters like Pets Alive Middletown and Pets Alive Westchester. They routinely pull animals from NYC kill shelters and save their lives.

getoveryourselfsnip said:
    December 13, 2012 at 11:13 PM

So then why would snip associate itself with such a terrible organization, bash them but yet still use their services. SNIP if your so against the A why do you continue to use their spay/neuter service go find another organization to affiliate yourself with and then you can bash them too!

holymoly said:
      December 15, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Unfortunately , you have to suck up to Jane Hoffman of the Mayor's Alliance or get nothing to help feral cats & adoptable animals in your Rescue Groups .
      It's a Hard Ball for Rescuers to have to chug down their throats .
      Honestly , I wish every group in the Alliance would leave them !
      And make Maddie's Fund realize the truth about how NYC'S Mayor Bloomberg , The Mayor's Alliance & the ASPCA could care less about NYC Homeless Animals stuck in a Germ Infested Cement Ward !

Shara Krogh said:
    December 14, 2012 at 9:42 AM

This is a pathetic example of failed leadership in government and downright corruption. There is no excuse for allowing these innocent creatures to suffer in agony while inept management pushes papers around. A disgusting display of callousness and lack of humanity. Simply appalling. Mayor Bloomberg should be ashamed.

Adam said:
      December 19, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Mayor Bloomberg's daughter Georgina is a big supporter of the ASPCA and the even more corrupt Humane Society of the United States. These big, money grubbling fundraising factories spend more time courting celebrities and publicity-seeking socialites than directly helping the animals they exploit in their manipulative and lucrative TV ads. Mayor Bloomberg does not care about New York City pets or carriage horses. The ASPCA and the HSUS see these animals as fundraising tools. Media exposure is the best weapon against them. Spread the word.

Melissa said:
    December 14, 2012 at 11:42 AM

The more people who see this story, the louder will be the outcry. Please continue to share it with people you know, whether they are in NYC or not. This doesn’t have to be the status quo. Why is it so hard for you politicians to admit that someone has better ideas when yours are so clearly not working?

Seema said:
    December 14, 2012 at 12:26 PM

It is great to hear that someone has exposed their lies! It is about time people hear and know the truth!

Kitty song said:
    December 14, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Yes this kind of untruthfullness is rampant. I sat on an animal control board where a local SPCA told owners relinquishing the pets that their generous donation to them would be used to shelter and rehome- that night Fido or fluffy were brought to the taxpayer funded crematorium and killed. Pet parents that had a change of heart the next day were told they had already been adopted.

I run a true No-Kill organization, Angel Paws Animal Friends and I constantly fight being lumped in with those that deceive.

J STONE said:
      December 16, 2012 at 9:42 AM

100 DOLLARS TO FIND COSMO GIVEN A NUMBER AT NYC POUND IS A0692107 POUND NUMBER BUZY ALWAYS MY NUMBER IS 718 4261896

the truth said:
    December 14, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Well, Regina as for what has been done I congratulate you, the truth about the “A” has been told. What I’m thinking about at this point Regina, is that anonymous person that keeps on commenting against you. What I think is that, that person knows you and works at the “A”, only people that work there call it the “A” and rescuers too. That person being a female must have work very closely with you over the years offering spay and neuter, when the trucks use to go around, and at this new clinic they have in queens. Hey anonymous stop hiding and stop protecting the “A” so much. Yes they are jacking up prices for all rescuers and eventually are going to phase out all rescuers, the best thing for all rescuers to do is find another place to go. Another issue I have with the ASPCA is where were they when SANDY hit, no where to be seen, did they actually think that people where going to spay neuter their pets at a time like this, why where the trucks deployed to work in the hardest of hit areas the very next day after Sandy came? The ASPCA is losing their purpose of helping animals in need and becoming more of a business minded organization, all about the money. Last but not least, why did it take Rachel Ray to donate money to put up that shelter in Brooklyn to help out hurricane Sandy animals?

Regina Massaro said:
    December 15, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Response to PuppyLady:____It is just a handful of individuals, not the ASPCA as the organization. I have a great deal of respect for many who work at the ASPCA and who truly care about animals. Information was provided to the media from within the organization. ____Replytogetoveryourselfsnip – SNIP and others involved in rescue receive nothing from the ASPCA. Millions are donated to help animals and they are entitled. Bash vs Truth – a vast difference. Were it not for rescuers, there would be no help for animals on the street and for the vast majority in no kill shelters. This will be the final post on this site. All further communication with SNIP will have to go through Spay Neuter Intervention Project (SNIP) Facebook.

Xena said:
    December 15, 2012 at 1:30 AM

I happen to know that the Humane Law Enforcement Officers of the ASPCA does an amazing job. They helped my neighbor and I was a fan of Animal Precinct. This story makes me wonder if the show was cancelled as either a coverup or b/c these new policies undermined their productivity.

saharine said:
    December 15, 2012 at 6:58 PM

The reason animal precinct is gone is because melissa nordon, Sr. VP and Chief Legal Counsel (never worked as a lawyer) and Stacy Wolf, VP of HLE, and allegedly a lawyer though she never worked as a lawyer either (and the person responsible for the current mess at HLE) HATED animal precinct. They are more worried about getting sued than about helping animals.

DR J STONE said:
    December 16, 2012 at 9:38 AM

TIME AMERICA WOKE UP AND TOOK BACK THE COUNTRY BECAUSE LITTLE WORKS ANYMORE MY ADVICE IS TO HAVE TRAINED PEOPLE WHO CAN INFORCE THE LAW THEMSELVES IF ONE CAN MAKE A CITIZENS ARREST THEY ONE CAN LEARN HOW TO GO AFTER ANIMAL ABUSERS

DR J STONE said:
    December 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM

THIS COUNTRY IS SO FULL OF SICK PEOPLE THAT ONE SHOULD REQUIRE A MENTAL TEST TO HAVE A PET SO UNLIKE CIVILIZED COUNTRIES WHERE NO ANIMAL IS BORN UNLESS A HOME IS WAITING FOR IT AND BIRTH CONTROL ANIMAL FOOD IS USED IN SEVERAL THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES BUT A COUNTRY SO RICH WITH SUCH BACKWARD LAWS IS SHAMEFULL, STOP DEPENDING ON OTHERS TODAY FORCE JUSTICE IN ORGANIZATION GROUPS WORKS. ONE ISSUE AT A TIME BECAUSE THIER ARE NOT ENOUGHT SPACE AND JAILS TODAY TO HOLD AMERICA CRIMINALLS

lucyhoneychurch said:
    December 17, 2012 at 2:32 PM

The ASPCA, NYC Animal Control, PETA, and The Humane Society of the United States are not worthy of their mandates. They kill, abuse, and cause the vast majority of pet suffering in this country while collecting HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS per YEAR under the guise of protecting pets.

The money is spent on lavish fundraisers, more buildings, staff salaries, advertising, administrative and operational expenses, and very LITTLE (<10%) is actually spent on any animals in their care. It's a HUGE boondoggle, and the country's pets are the ones who suffer horribly as a result of these massive Soviet-style beaurocracies that accomplish nothing but more endless fundraising.

NEVER donate to any of these organizations, NEVER bring your pet to a 'shelter'.

If you really want to make a difference, please ALWAYS donate to the small, local, volunteer-run no-kill rescue organizations. They are the only ones with boots on the ground actually CARING for animals.

Melissa said:
      December 17, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Amen to that

CA Girl 2013 said:
    March 23, 2013 at 11:54 PM

part of the reason they are back logged is due to false complaints of neglect and abuse on the NYC carriage horses. These cases are a priority, yet 100% of them have been false complaints with no issues found. If the animal rights activists actually cared about animals, they would stop making bogus complaints against healthy, well taken care of horses!

Daria Aumand said:
    April 14, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I wonder if the ASPCA's major contibuters are aware of their failure to prevent cruelty. It is also interesting to see the salaries of some of the management, including their lawyers. It's disgusting. Less and less seems to spent on the animals and their protection. The Humane Enforcement Officers are the ones who make a difference, not the management.

strona budowanie said:
    November 27, 2013 at 10:06 PM

�. Związane grabie Przywabiająca budowa.
    uniosła do twarzy, stron budowanie zasłaniając usta.

Bęc krokodylka. Ciałko kurczy się, podczas gdy dalece pozwala
    ciasno oplatająca ciacha
    wstążka. Trach.
    . jeszcze nie.
    Raźne pogląd, poprzednio faktyczność zatonie w bólu, natomiast płuca pękną odkąd krzyku.
    Ich
    oczy się spotkały. Frodo puder odczucie, że zwariował, że przed jeszcze jego
    biednego fiuta schwyciły zęby krokodylka, startuje mie.

myartsonline.com said:
    December 30, 2013 at 5:03 PM

lne interesy. Razu jednego Warta usługi dźwigowe.
    wmawiał samemu, że owe kant.
    Frodo budowa (myartsonline.com) syknął z bólu.
    Pokonał zbyt wiele ziemi, chciał napełnić jeszcze pobieżne
    wyżłobienie, które stanęło w czasie udeptywania.
    Jednak ponaciągane mięśnie odmówiły
    posłuszeństwa, trzonek skręcił się w dłoniach.
    Niziołek odrzucił łopatę, zaczął
    rozcierać przedramię.
    - Co oczywiście stoisz! – warknął. – Co, zatkało? Mi.

pitbulls kennels said:
    March 20, 2014 at 8:55 AM

excellent points altogether, you just received a new reader.
    What might you recommend in regards to your put up that you simply made
    some days in the past? Any certain?